Sunday, September 23, 2007

Banting Lake Lodge


One of the dumbest things I've ever done was to videotape over a great piece of angling footage. It happened at Banting Lake Lodge in Newfoundland. I had borrowed a video camera and tripod for the week-long trip and this was my first experience using one. The beginning of the week was rough - hot as hell, water low and tepid. We fished like demons, nonetheless, from dawn till dusk, and one morning, towards the end of the week, I woke to hear Rocky, the guide say, "Harold's got one!" It was about 6 AM and, sure enough, there was my dad at the Top Pool well into a feisty grilse with the whole camp still snoozing. Seeing him land the first fish of the trip really got my Mojo going, and I couldn't wait to start fishing.

I tried the Middle Pool and soon raised a salmon. In fact, I raised him five times before I put down the rod, trudged back to the lodge and got the video equipment. With the camera all set up, I continued fishing. Ten times I raised the fish before he took the fly, and I got the whole thing on tape. It was a five lb grilse - pretty much as big as they get, for a 63 cm fish. Later at the lodge, we watched the footage and everyone said it was the first time they had ever seen a salmon take a fly on tape. I was pretty proud of myself, as I rewound the tape, cueing it up to watch once more.

About that time we heard a plane approaching. I put the camera down and we all hurried outside to see who was flying in. Then, I it occurred to me that I should get a few shots of the plane landing, so I went back for the camera and, without giving it a thought, recorded over most of my precious footage. Afterwards my brother, Steve, who works in the television industry, pointed out that there is a small switch on the cassette that locks it to prevent accidental erasure. Damn! I was wishing my leg was long enough to kick my own ass! Anyway, here is some of the footage just before the salmon grabbed the fly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still great footage as the salmon came to your fly almost every time!

Why pay hundreds of dollars for a fish finder when you can fish with one of the Dobson Brothers?

Brad McCaughan

Random Phrump said...

Hey Brad:

I saw the pictures of you with the big salmon on Steve's blog. I fished hard two weekends in October and never came close to a fish... I'd say you were with the right Dobson brother!

Warren