Tuesday, June 12, 2007

"He must be a thorough fool who can learn nothing from his own folly." - J.C. & A.W. Hare



When I pulled into the parking lot, the heavens opened and it began to pour rain. The man was waiting in his truck with his son - a boy of about eight. He opened a huge golf umbrella to give us some shelter while we transferred the boats. The boy ended up under the umbrella, watching as we untied my Zodiac from the roof rack, then his aluminum boat from the trailer.

Wait a minute! What is that? He hadn't mentioned the patch on the bottom - an egg-sized chunk of metal that had been melted into a gash. He swears it doesn't leak a drop. I probably should have turned tail right then and there, but I didn't and now I have the boat home in my garage.

I need to get some oars and oarlocks, a pulley and a piece of hardwood to make an anchor drop for the bow, then some stainless eyebolts for guides and a cleat to fasten the anchor line. That will make it safe for the river. Then we'll see if it leaks.

Photo by Drew Dobson: Western Brook, Newfoundland.

No comments: