Saturday, February 2, 2008

Dinner At The Parkview


Dinner at the Parkview in Oxford, was a regular feature of our fall fishing days on the River Philip. We'd shed our waders and wash up in the motel room, then trudge across the parking lot to the restaurant. It was nothing fancy, but always clean and warm, with good service and a great Hot Turkey Sandwich - exactly what we needed after a long day of salmon fishing.

As we waited for our food, we enjoyed browsing the place mats. They were reprints of historic front pages from the Oxford Journal - stories of floods, fires, and winter storms.

It was getting near Christmas when I thought of the perfect gift for my dad and my brother. I created a reproduction of the Oxford Journal, featuring a story about our fishing exploits, and I laminated it to create a sturdy place mat (click photo to enlarge).

It was a big hit! Dad still has his on the wall in his office. Steve's is on display in his fishing camp on the Medway. Mine peers out from beneath fridge-magnets on the side of a file cabinet in my study. Memories... memories...
Good Luck and Good Fishin'!
-Random Phrump

No comments: