Monday, May 5, 2008

The Landing Net

The Missus whispered something to me last night as I was drifting off to sleep...

It's not what you're thinking.

She said, "Marilyn and I are going to the city tomorrow. Is there anything you need?"

"Yes, I'm glad you asked," I replied. "I need a new landing net - a trout net, if you come across one."

"Don't you have one?" she inquired.

"I do, but a couple of years ago, I was fixing the well. I needed something to weigh down the foot valve so it would sink to the bottom. One-inch PVC pipe comes in coils, and won't straighten out worth a damn. I thought about tying a rock to it, but I couldn't tie a knot that would hold a big heavy rock. Then I thought of using a net to hold the rock. Not long after that, I cut the mesh off my old aluminum landing net - sacrificed it in the name of domestic harmony," I explained.

"Oh, how sweet of you!" she cooed.

"I release all of the trout I catch," I continued, "so it hasn't been an issue. But today, when Dad hooked that beautiful brookie and wanted it for supper, I was in a bit of a pickle without a landing net."

"I'll try to get you one," she whispered.

"Thanks, Hon - you're the best!" I murmured as I fell asleep, while visions of laminated exotic hardwood landing nets danced in my head.

Today when I got home from school, she and Marilyn were in the driveway unloading their swag. Out of the back of her car came cases of bottled water, 48-roll packages of toilet paper, and a four foot long aluminum handle with about three feet of black mesh dangling down...

"What in God's name is that?" I choked. "I asked for a trout net!"

"Well, it's a net! What does it look like?" she asked, indignantly.

I really should have known better... I was half asleep at the time... I was bushwhacked... I...

I know what you're thinking...

You're right - there is no excuse. A man who can't buy his own fishing gear deserves what he gets.

Good Luck and Good Fishin'!
RP

8 comments:

vanckirby said...

was looking over your blog and enjoyed it. would you mind if i added it to my links on fladuckdays?

Random Phrump said...

Hi vanckirby:

Add away, add away... I'm just off to school - will check out your site when I get home tonight.

Thanks,
RP

vanckirby said...

thanks! ill put it up now.

vanckirby said...

a link would be great. thanks

Tony said...

It would be a honour Sir to have my site linked on yours . I will also add yours if thats ok and would also like to use the following which sums my feelings up much more eloquently than my rambling's ever could .

"Life is but a dream?"

"... on a good day of fishing, the job, the noise and clutter ... fade away until there is only water and the rhythm of the rod and, now and then, a fish."

-Random Phrump
Your post about the #5 rod is interesting I use a #6 to #7 at the moment but a #4 weight is on the agenda .
Cheers and regards from England
.........Tony

Random Phrump said...

Tony:

It would be my pleasure to have you quote me on your blog. Keep up the good work = very unique and fascinating site!

RP

Anonymous said...

This is very nice blog! I´m glad that I found it. I will be visiting in the future to enjoy it.

Regardsd from Argentina

Random Phrump said...

oldsmuggler:

Thanks for the kind words. I visited your site - great photos. I know a little Spanish - poquito...

vaya con dios