Thursday, July 24, 2008

Priorities


It seems I've spent my whole life establishing priorities, consciously or unconsciously, and making decisions based on them. Much of it has involved putting off what I really want to do for some real, or imagined, future benefit.

I've been sitting here reminiscing the last ten days or so. What sparked it was a phone call from my friend, Parker Suley. Parker called from Labrador to give a fishing report, and inquire when I would be coming to visit. I had to tell him that I wouldn't be coming this year - priorities.

He mentioned that he started fishing the 4th of June and as of July 13th, he had released over 60 Atlantic Salmon. He said the water has been perfect this season, lots of fish in every pool. Two friends from St. John's were there when he called, and they had caught five that day, and eight the day before.

I was overcome with a form of nostalgia - regret, perhaps - maybe grief, I don't know. I felt so conflicted over my decision not to go this summer that I had to do something about it. That something ended up being the 10-part series of posts on Rocky Bay. Now that's done, and I still feel much the same...

I'm beginning to think what I should have done was pull out all the stops, and high-tail it for Labrador - priorities be damned!

Good Luck and Good Fishin'!

RP

Photo by Random Phrump: Drew and Parker at The Falls.

4 comments:

Trotsky said...

I remember a drive home with my fishing buddy after an absolutely stellar Steelhead outing.
I remember the exact moment when it dawned on me that there is in fact a finite number of Steelhead Autumns left in my life.....
I hope it is a pretty big number....but the number is probably smaller than I think.
It doesn't last forever.
I wish it did.

Priorities indeed.

....Got any Scotch left?
;O)

I enjoyed those tales BTW.

Random Phrump said...

Trotsky:

In the off-season - tales and memories, a photograph or two are about all we have.

Thanks,
RP

Steve Dobson said...

Well Warren,

I've been away and have not seen your blog for over a month. You have been busy.

What awesome memories in these posts. I have not seen those photos in years either. Thanks for putting your notes together. It was an amazing experience. I'm glad we shared it.

Was that the trip where we had to wake a feller up for gas?

Cheers,
Steve
Steve Dobson's Fisherman's Blog

Random Phrump said...

Hi Steve:

Yes - we stopped at Tim Horton's in Deer Lake for coffee and I forgot to fill up. We had about half a tank - not quite enough to make Port-Aux-Basques.

RP