Thursday, July 17, 2008

Rocky Bay Part IV: Despair

I woke at 2 AM, tossing and turning - too hot in my sleeping bag, and too cold without it. It was raining, and the roof of the camp was leaking. I got some buckets to catch the drips, started a fire in the kitchen stove, and made some coffee. Then I carried an armload of wet firewood inside and stacked it in the oven to dry.

For some reason, I started thinking about the bad things in this place - the outboard motors that wouldn't start, the radio that didn't work, the realization that there was no way to contact anyone, or summon help in case of emergency. I was covered with insect bites, bruised and sore all over from my fall in the river, from carrying the 40 HP motor through the woods, from criss-crossing the lake with those heavy oars in a massive wooden boat with no oarlocks, on an empty stomach.

I was thinking... I'm not used to this. I've done my share of boating. And one thing I've learned from it is that I do not like having to spend my precious fishing time wrestling with outboards. I like a motor that starts every time. If it doesn't, I take it in for service before I'll use it again. I don't know how to repair an outboard motor, but there are people who do - I'm just not one of them, and neither is my brother, Steve.

When Steve got up, we talked it over. With the rain drumming on the roof and a cozy fire in the woodstove, we decided to stay in camp that morning. We hoped that one of the Bilodeau brothers would arrive with a battery for the radio, and would fix the outboards for us.

Good Luck and Good Fishin'

RP

Photo by Steve Dobson: First Pool, Old Fort River, Quebec

2 comments:

V said...

I too enjoy fishing (when I can find the time) and found your blog just last night. Your stories remind me of some of the ones my father used to tell around the kitchen table with old friends who'd come home from away. Thanks for the laughs.
Hope it's OK to bookmark you and return once in awhile for a read.
In regards to your obvious trials and tribulations on this current trip...perhaps you should look at it as a chance to show yourself how true an outdoorsman you can be. Wink! Good luck and good fishin'!

Random Phrump said...

Hi Valerie:

Thanks for your kind words. I loved your post about your dad - very touching. I'll bookmark your blog too - good writing!

RP